Radio Equipment Directive (RED) testing
All radio-communication devices and stations, including drones, must be established and operated in such a manner as not to cause harmful interference to other radio services or communications. Frequency bands for radio services and geostationary-satellite orbit are limited natural resources and they must be used rationally, efficiently, and economically, in conformity with the provisions of the International Regulations, so that countries may have equitable access to both.
Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU
The protection of the radio spectrum is set as an essential requirement of the Radio Equipment Directive (RED) on the harmonization of the laws of the Member States on the marketing of radio equipment, which establishes that radio equipment must be so constructed that it makes and promotes efficient use of the radio spectrum in order to avoid harmful interference
Complying the regulations, from which these harmonized standards are derived for CE marking, is mandatory since June 2017 for all Radio Equipment placed on the European Market and assure the necessary performance and quality in operating radio-communication systems. It also seeks ways and means to conserve spectrum and ensure flexibility for future expansion and new technological developments.
Verification of compliance with this essential requirement of the Directive is done through harmonised standards that are drawn up and published by ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) under the mandate of the European Community and which set out the technical details to be complied with by the different existing technologies.
ALTER TECHNOLOGY is accredited by the National Spanish Accreditation Body (ENAC) to perform radio spectrum maters ERM tests according to UNE-EN ISO/IEC 17025:2000, scope 345/LE808. Alter Technology also is designated as Notified Body Nr 2031 for RED directive. It has been approved as Conformity Assessment Body (CAB) in the Mutual Recognition Agreement between Europe and third countries.
Alter Technology also is designated as Notified Body Nr 2031 for RED directive.
Capabilities and facilities of ALTER Radio Equipment Directive (RED) laboratory
As a notified body, Alter Technology can perform the testing, certification, and technical document approval required to achieve radio device compliance for CE marking
Moreover, Alter has been performed test for drone communications subsystems and is constantly investing in radio communications projects inside the drone sector. The services we offer for RED compliance include:
- Testing: ALTER has facilities to run transmitter tests, receiver tests using several radio technologies such as GSM, GNSS, WiFi, RFID or Bluetooth, among others. We have a series of laboratories and facilities suitable to guarantee the success of the different certification tests. Within these centers, we can find anechoic and shielded chambers, spectrum analyzers and selective receivers, generators with high spectral purity, radiocommunication test equipment, antennae, filters, coupling networks, attenuators, directional couplings, thermal chamber, vibration boards.
- CE Marking: We apply a RED CE mark to your UAS and help you complete all necessary documentation to get your drone into the EU market.
- Regulation Knowledge: ALTER technical experts keep up to date on EU Regulation 2019/945 and standards applicable to radio and telecommunications equipment, and participate in in different Working groups and platforms to be aware of the latest news regarding normative and mandatory requirements for drone systems.
- Technical Support: ALTER experts provide full support in developing the technical documents for a proper approach to the authorities in this concern.
- CE Marking Guide for drone certification: Download now our «CE marking of UAS bearing a class identification label (CIL)» to receive by email.