It is Summertime! Can I fly my drone?

The summer season is most people’s favorite time to go on holidays due to the high temperatures and the good weather.

If you are one of these kinds of people and you would like to fly a drone during your holidays, there are some things you need to know before.

First, when you buy your new drone, you need to check its requirements because these may differ according to the drone category. There are three categories of civil drone operations: ‘’open’’, ‘’specific’’ and ‘’certified’’. For recreational flights, we are speaking about open category drones.

Secondly, as an operator, you have to register online at the National Aviation Authority (NAA) web of the country you live in or have your main place of business and get a registration ID. For drones that don’t belong to the open category, it will need operational authorization from the national competent authority and the European regulation fostered by EASA before starting the operation. Specific operations are normally referred to as professional activities for different sectors.

Thirdly, it is necessary to be aware of the rules related to drone operation and the risks involved. To achieve this, you will need to read the manual.

Since a drone operator is not the same as a drone pilot, to fly your drone, you will need to pass an online training session for pilots for the type of operation to be conducted, normally, on your NAA website. Once you have done this, you will be officially a certified drone pilot.

Finally, you have to check where you can (or cannot) fly your drone. There are some zones where drone operations are forbidden and some zones where flight authorization is required. You must respect the limitations and report to your NAA about any incident or accident you witness or are involved in case it causes injuries to a person or when it involves another aircraft. For this reason and as final advice, please,

Don’t forget to get insurance for your drone!